Monday, March 23, 2015

Leave the house hungry!!

Everyday, we need to leave the house hungry. In Korea, this is because no matter where we go as missionaries we will be fed. And the food is always delicious. But we also need to be hungry to experience new things and meet new people and give and receive love. 

As I've been out here, I realize that there were so many days when I was going to school or work that I would go through the day really passively. And It's good to be accepting of whatever may come our way, but it's also super important to recognize what is happening and see all the good in it and let that good feed us. And the only way we can be full on good is if we are hungry for good. I hope this makes sense! Let me tell a story that will hopefully help...

So it's my third week here, and when I leave my apartment each day I'm surrounded by 100% Korean everything. Sometimes people are hard to understand and signs are hard to understand and, honestly, sometimes I have almost zero idea what is going on. It would be easy to let this discourage me. And sometimes, it's really tempting to get down on myself. But each day I pray for God to be with me, and there was one day in particular where I was hungry to see it- and I did.

After a couple teaching appointments where I didn't feel I understood or contributed much, we were waiting at the bus stop and I just bowed my head and prayed, "Heavenly Father, please be with me today." And I think I just repeated that about four or five times and then we got on the bus to go to the church. When we get off the bus, it's about a five minute walk to the church building and on our way we ran into a girl we knew that spoke english! She was so happy to see us and I was able to speak with her and ask her how she was doing. And then, we saw all these little kids with slushees. For those of you who know me well, slushees are the one thing that never fail to make me happy. We found the source of the slushees in this random bounce house, and the only flavor that was still working was grape- which is my favorite. In that moment I knew that God was looking after me and telling me that he loved me. But it wasn't until later that night on the bus ride home that I realized He had also directly answered my prayer. He was with me, and He did everything to show me He was with me. Sometimes, I just forget to look around and see how much He does give me. Sometimes I think I'm full. But when we are hungry for experiences, for blessing, for goodness, we can find it. Because God is always willing to give those things to us. 

Korea continues to amaze me every day. Everyone I meet has something new to teach me and I so thankful for everything I'm experiencing here and for all the amazing things I see all of you doing at home. I love you all so much and sincerely pray for you each day.

Have an amazing week and remember that you're never too full!

God bless,

Sister Weston

No comments:

Post a Comment